I am particularly proud of my latest project, my half bath sink. It is the first project I’ve done without working off of existing plans. I was heavily inspired by this sink from Pottery Barn and just planned it out in my head as I went along.
(Affiliate links included below.)
I started out building a base out of 4x4s for each of the legs and attached them with 2x4s along the top and on the sides. I knew I wanted the total height of my sink to be about 36 inches, so I subtracted the sink top to get my height for the legs. I designed the width to fit the width of my bathroom wall. I attached all of the joints with pocket hole screws.
I wanted a little more bulk to the front, so I ended up adding a 2×6 in front of the 2×4.
Next, I built out the slats for the bottom shelf, which were 1x3s attached to 2x4s.
I attached the bottom shelf and moved the sink vanity into my bathroom. (And breathed a sigh of relief that it fit!)
Before attaching the top, I put some 2×4 reinforcements in for support.
I then cut a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to fit the top.
Next, it was time to cut out the hole for my sink. The sink I purchased came with a template, which I aligned on top to make sure it was centered exactly where I wanted it.
Once that was ready, I took the top off and cut the hole out with my jigsaw. I also added 1x2s around the top to finish off the edges and attached with my Ryobi Brad Nailer.
I was thrilled when I put the sink in and… it fit! I purchased this sink from Lowes.
Once everything was in place, I pulled the sink back out and stained it. After years of learning toward a darker stain on my projects, lately I’ve been into a lighter or more medium stain color. I started with Minwax Wood Conditioner, then a coat of Minwax Early American followed by a layer of Minwax Classic Gray. I then used a coat of Varathane Matte Poly.
After the vanity was stained, I installed the plumbing for the sink. I ordered my faucet from Amazon and love it. I sprayed my PVC piping in matte black spray paint and re-attached it. When I turned my water back on, I was thrilled that it worked!
In total, I spent about $250 on lumber, the sink, and the faucet. Here’s a breakdown of my sources:
I can’t help but smile a little when I walk into my half bath now. For the first time in a few months, it is functional. Plus, all I have left to do in this room is decorate!
Here’s a recap of some other projects in this room: